Monday 13 June 2016

I'd Rather be Free

Historians reminisce, philosophers wonder. I would rather be free.
I have the memory, and I have the wonder. I would rather be free.
The memory is past, the wonder is yet to come. I would rather be free.
The past is a treasure, the future is the dream. I would rather be free.
Day threatens, night beckons. I would rather be free.
Failure looming, success impending. I would rather be free.
The melody of the funeral drums, the rhyme of the birth dance. I would rather be free.
To remember, and to forget. I would rather be free.
To forget, and to remember. I would rather be free.
Yesterday, today and forever. I would rather be free.

I’d rather be free to fear than be scared of freedom. Freedom is what I have. And it’s not on the market.
I’d rather be free in the unknown than be a prisoner of the known. Too many are bound by what they know, so much so that they cannot explore what they shouldn't know. They end up knowing a lot of nothing.
I’d rather be free to fly than be a bird without wings. Flying is real easy. Just spread your hands inwards and dive.
I’d rather be free to walk on water than analyse the buoyancy, upthrust and surface tension of the Atlantic. Too many analysts spoil the broth.
I’d rather be free to forget and remember than be bound to forget and remember. Memories are great. But they ought to remain behind and to speak in hushed tones. That’s why toilet doors are always, always closed.
I’d rather be free to walk free than be held to work bound. It’s really a question of perception. Prisons are mind games.
I’d rather be free to smile today than dream of yesterday’s laugh and memorize tomorrow's dance. Well, what can I say?
I’d rather be free to live than be destined to die. The fatted cow bragged he really had a better lot than the lab mouse, and he told the mouse so. That was until he met the rock badger through a mutual friend.
I’d rather be free to rule than be the Prisoner of prestige. Only free people get elected President. You could ask Obama. Ask Obasanjo as well.

I would rather be free. Captivity makes no sense to me, especially when it’s self imposed. I choose to be free. I am free to remember and to forget. I keep memories in their place. The unpleasant ones will not keep me chained. The pleasant ones will be my code though. I am free to respond to love; to love and be loved. I am free to be human; and also not to be human. Lifted is a place someone took me. Fear is the ultimate captivity. Fear of failure or of success, they are both makers of the Prisoner. That's why freedom is the opposite of fear. And love doesn't fear.

Being the Prisoner doesn’t exempt you from work. No, it doesn’t. It simply means you make yourself too small to work for yourself.

Kings dream up palaces. Prisoners build them. Then kings live in them. Do you still wonder why I chose to stay free?

No comments:

Post a Comment